Are you looking to implement a learning management system (LMS) but aren’t sure where to start? You’re not alone.
If you haven’t been through this process before, it can be overwhelming to think about the number of tasks your team needs to accomplish before you can launch your LMS strategy.
Enter Skilljar’s LMS Project Plan.
Download the LMS Project Planning Template
This template provides you with the project planning template you need to implement your LMS.
In this spreadsheet, we’ve included a detailed checklist for each phase of implementation. Next to each task, there’s also space for you to fill in your status, due date, owner, and next steps. Your LMS project manager can use this template throughout your implementation timeline to stay organized.
Use This LMS Project Implementation Checklist
This training project plan template includes a checklist for each stage of implementation, with all the steps you need to get through launch. Here is an overview of the steps in an LMS implementation project plan.
Defining your training strategy.
In this stage, you need to connect with stakeholders and build out your plan for implementation. The project plan includes sub-steps like answering:
- What are your goals and success metrics?
- Who will use this LMS?
- What are the launch dates, milestones, and task owners?
Before you start publishing content on your LMS, you need to define what that content will look like. In the project plan, you’ll add details on sub-steps like:
- Determining your content needs
- Identifying content gaps
- Determining course structure
Refining user experience and customization
The customer’s experience using your LMS is critical to its success. Make sure you’ve set the stage for an easy, smooth UX with sub-steps like:
- Reviewing theme options, custom Cascading Style Sheets (CSS), and branding requirements
- Deciding and confirming a domain name
- Determining the log-in plan
Building a communication and marketing plan
You’ll need to clearly communicate your product updates to customers. Use the LMS project planning checklist to walk through steps like:
- Defining marketing goals
- Determining who will send marketing communications
- Determining the content used in communications
Going through technical set-up and integrations
You’re in the final steps before launching your LMS project. It’s time to ensure the technical experience is buttoned up, with steps like:
- SFDC integration
- Single sing on (SSO) configuration
- WebEx/GoTo set up
When launching your LMS project, the last thing you want to face on launch day is a bug that disrupts the customer experience. Among other things, make sure to:
- Test the user experience end-to-end
- Test manager experience
- Review the admin experience
It’s here! You’ve successfully planned for and launched your project to customers. You can still use the LMS project planning template post-launch, making sure you’ve covered steps like:
- Reviewing analytics to ensure people are signing up
- Obtaining feedback from users
- Rolling out to new customers
Finally, use our LMS project planning template to wrap up your project smoothly:
- Review feedback from users
- Make changes to your process or content as needed
- Plan follow-up phases of the project, if applicable
Editor’s Note: This article was originally published in 2017, and has been updated in 2021.