Document Intelligence Company Drives Improved Product Adoption with Skilljar
ThoughtTrace is a fast-growing SaaS startup where customer education is an essential driver of maximizing product engagement. While still growing, the company quickly understood that its most satisfied customers were those who used the ThoughtTrace application to its full potential.
Prior to working with Skilljar, ThoughtTrace was conducting one-on-one training with customers. This approach, while effective, was not scalable, especially as ThoughtTrace added customers that were geographically spread out. ThoughtTrace sought to leverage Customer Education resources to improve its training program and enable Customer Success Managers to focus on more strategic work with customers.
The ThoughtTrace team also sought to better utilize its Customer Education data to uncover valuable business insights, and create optimal experiences for customers.
- Effectively scale training for its global user base
- Reduce the amount of time Customer Success Managers spent training
- Create a centralized, fully-branded online university for Customer Education and enablement
- Increase product adoption by improving customer knowledge
- Measure training engagement and effectiveness
- Integrate with existing business intelligence tools
The key value that Skilljar is providing for us at ThoughtTrace is the easy access to information for our customers. Being able to ensure that the application is going to be used in the best possible way is a win/win situation.
Catalina Herrera, Director of Education and Enablement, ThoughtTrace
Together, Skilljar and ThoughtTrace built ThoughtTrace Academy, an on-demand training program that includes content on How to’s, Provision and Entity Definitions, Product Release Notes, and Use Case Examples. ThoughtTrace Academy offers multiple learning paths that cover different stages of the learning spectrum, from the onboarding needs for first timers with the application, all the way to a Certification program for more advanced users.
ThoughtTrace is integrating customer education data with existing business systems such as Salesforce and Zendesk to identify trends and make data-driven decisions that impact customer health.
In order to uncover insights about its customers and their educational needs from training data, ThoughtTrace adopted Skilljar’s Data Connector tool. The value of the Data Connector tools
lies in its ability to integrate Customer Education data into the business intelligence tools companies are already using, such as Salesforce, Microsoft Power BI, and SAP.
In addition to scaling customer training efforts and automating repetitive activities previously completed by the Customer Success Team, with Skilljar’s Data Connector, ThoughtTrace was able to uncover hidden insights from ThoughtTrace Academy, such as: number of active learners’ growth, content growth per product, correlation between customers and learners, completion ratios per lessons, most popular content based on views and completions, customer learning patterns, and more.
With Skilljar’s Data Connector ThoughtTrace was also able to integrate ThoughtTrace Academy into Salesforce. The integration enables ThoughtTrace to understand adoption rates and dive deep into student data.
Using Data Connector, ThoughtTrace is now able to track standard program metrics for:
- Training managers: New course enrollments, course completion and overall completion rates, etc.
- Instructional Designers: Most popular content based on views and completions, drop-off rates by content type, etc.
- Education Services & Customer Success Managers: Active users, average number of courses per user, etc.
In addition to the standard metrics, ThoughtTrace is using Data Connector to uncover other important insights that impact the business. Examples include:
- Personalized Communication: With the new visibility provided by Data Connector, ThoughtTrace is now able to target live workshops by topic for their customers. For example, The learner will have an opportunity to sign-up for a skill-building workshop if he already attempted and failed a certification exam.
- Course Completion & Completion rate as a road map for program improvements: Working in a fast-paced startup environment with lofty goals and limited resources can be challenging. Being able to visualize the completion rate per lesson is providing a clear picture into lesson name, lesson length, etc. as opportunities for improvements. ThoughtTrace now prioritizes improvements for any lesson with a completion rate <90%.