As a growing functional team with an increasing number of internal and external software tools, customer success also requires the infrastructure support of operations and business intelligence. The Customer Success Operations role is responsible for bringing together different systems into a coherent framework that enables both CSMs and customers.
Typical systems include:
- CRMs (e.g. Salesforce)
- Customer success analytics (e.g. Gainsight, Totango, ClientSuccess)
- Marketing automation (e.g. Marketo, Pardot, Eloqua, HubSpot)
- Training and certifications (e.g. Skilljar)
- Video conferencing (e.g. WebEx, GoToMeeting)
- Advocacy (e.g. Influitive)
- In-app messaging (e.g. Intercom)
- Communities (e.g. Jive, Lithium)
- Helpdesk (e.g. Zendesk, Desk)
In addition to bringing these tools together, Customer Success Operations prepares reporting and analytics for the executive team, and recommends strategic options depending on company goals. They may also have business analysts who focus on the business intelligence needs.
Hear a bit more about Customer Success Operations from Seth Wylie at InsightSquared:
“I develop and maintain resources, tools, and processes that help the team be effective and efficient in their work with customers and withother departments. My responsibilities range from software administration and data maintenance, to training and facilitation, and reporting.”
– Seth Wylie, Director of Customer Success Operations, InsightSquared