DataRobot VP of Global Education, Sharon Castillo, had used many LMS systems over the years in her career as a customer education leader, including SAP Litmos, Docebo, Absorb, Saba, and Cornerstone. With DataRobot, she needed a new education platform that could do more for external customers. She felt that their existing LMS system was not meeting their needs for customer education and training.
For Sharon and her team, the need to associate training data with customer product usage and overall customer success was also paramount.
“For all these reasons,” she said, “I determined that we needed to move off of the existing LMS quickly.”
— Sharon Castillo, VP of Global Education
DataRobot’s goals were to find an LMS built for external learners, including:
- Function as a training site displaying course catalogs to customers and prospect
- Have rich integrations with certification, CRM, and other tools
- Associate training data with customer product usage and overall customer success
DataRobot turned to Skilljar to implement a training LMS that could do more for their external customers.
Sharon has been in customer education for 30 years, working with companies that have done implementations from scratch or were trying to grow their education program.
One of the things that drew me to Skilljar was the ease of integrations – some other solutions have made promises that they could not deliver on. What I get from Skilljar that I have not seen with other LMS platforms is a level of customer success and implementation that are unbelievable.
— Sharon Castillo, VP of Global Education at DataRobot
DataRobot partnered with Skilljar to launch DataRobot University, offering practical data science education to solve business problems for both customers and the community. With Skilljar’s customer education platform, DataRobot could streamline the user experience, cut down on the amount of intervention needed by their internal operations and engineering teams, get better metrics, and support more integrations to facilitate richer training offerings.
With Skilljar, DataRobot was able to:
- Train over 7,000 thousand users in just 10 months
- Pivot from primarily live training to self-paced training for scalability (eight of their top 10 courses are now self-paced
- Build a course catalog that enabled users to easily see their offerings (rather than PDF fact sheets that were quickly outdated)
- Integrate with many tools to support their operations (for metrics, analysis, certification, etc.)
- Announce new course offerings and prepare users for what’s coming soon
- Release new content on a regular cadence
Skilljar has become the education hub that supports the rest of DataRobot University’s operations. It took about eight weeks from start to soft launch, and then they rolled out additional functionality over time. The launch was tied to the rollout of a whole new education program so deadlines were tight. According to Sharon:
The process was a pleasure.